tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 12 12:03:25 1999

RE: KLBC: more practice

jatlh Matt:

> I've been reading this list for a long time and have made a few posts
> but not done anything substantial for a long while.  So I've decided
> to make a post to remotivate myself.

> Qang vIlegh.  I see the chancellor.
> nargh yIH.  The tribble escapes.
> qalatlh.   I'm speaking to you.

maj.

> ngechDaq vIyIn.  I live in a valley.

Not quite. <yIn> means "live", as in "be alive"; the word for "dwell in,
reside at" is <Dab>. <ngech vIDab>.

> bIQ'a' SuD vIlegh.  I see the blue ocean.  (IMO the blue/green
> connotations of SuD works well here, except for the yellow)

maj.

> tugh jIQongnIS jIDoy'mo'.  I need to sleep soon because I am tired.

It would be better to put the <-mo'> clause before the main clause. We don't
know for certain if putting it after the main clause is illegal. Some
people, including charghwI', think it is, others do not, and TKD is
ambiguous. However, we do know that it's correct to put it in front, and
it's better style anyway.

> Another question I have:
> 	Is someone compiling a list of missing words in the Klingon word
> list we have?  There seems to be a gap in the everyday vocab the humans
> use - words like car, office, occupation etc.

Every year at the qep'a' we compile a "wish list" for things we have trouble
expressing. We do try to make sure that we are not including anything that
is specific to twentieth century Earth culture (e.g. shopping malls), and we
also try to avoid asking for things that we can easily express in other
ways. For example, the most common meaning of "office" is a little room that
a person works in. The word <yaH> - "duty station" works quite well for
this. It also works for a cubicle (grrrrr), a receptionist's desk, an
assembly line station, or just about any other assigned work location.
<vummeH pa'> also works for "office".

Many of the requests on the wish list get answered. For example, we recently
found out about quite a few words for different kinds of walls on the
startrek.klingon forum.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level