tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 11 22:38:47 1999

Re: Aspect

In a message dated 3/11/1999 9:30:24 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< I see {-choH} and {-qa'}
 as quite distinct from the idea of aspect in Klingon grammar.  Again,
 aspect is a condition of the verb's action.  Is the action complete or
 not?  Is the action ongoing or not?  The type 3 suffixes tell us about
 a change of state event, not about the completion or continuation of
 the action. >>
========================
DaH maQochbe'.  *Aspect buvDaq mu'mey {-choH} {-qa} je tu'lu'be'.  napbe'.
'ach *verbs internal temporal structure* 'oS *Aspect.  Is the period of time
complete or not?  As for the way TKD expresses Aspect, I agree fully that
there are only four Aspect suffixes:  perfective, perfective with a known
goal, continuous, and continuous with a known or implied limit (goal).

Even though in Terran languages changes in states of events are usually
considered Aspect, too, we have all repeatedly learned that Klingon is NOT
like any Terran language(s).

Thanks for your comments.  peHruS

Back to archive top level