tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 10 22:29:47 1999

Re: Aspect

In a message dated 3/6/1999 11:23:13 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Once again, TKD page 43:  "The suffix {-taH} "continuous" can be used
 whether there is a known goal or not."  You agree that I have correctly
 quoted it.  You repeated it in your response.  Now let's look at the
 last half of the phrase:  "...whether there is a known goal or not."
 That means that the suffix {-taH} can be used if there is a known goal.
 If there is a known goal, there is an implied stopping point.  If there
 is a stopping point, the action is not implied to be neverending.  If
 the action is not neverending, it eventually stops.  If the action stops,
 it is not perpetual.  {-taH} can be used if the action is not perpetual.
 {-taH} does not say the action must be perpetual.  That's how we KNOW
 that the aspect marker {-taH} does not mean that the absolutely must be
 perpetual, just ongoing.

 Is that sufficiently detailed for you?  If it is not, please either tell
 me at exactly which step you have a problem, or just shut up and go away.
 Do *NOT* simply disagree or say I'm misinterpreting something without
 pointing to the logical step or assumption that you think is faulty.  I
 will say it again:  Do *NOT* simply disagree or say I'm misinterpreting
 something without pointing to the logical step or assumption that you
 think is faulty. >>
qatlho' ghunchu'wI'.

mu'mey yep DaghItlh.  bIQIjchu'.

No wonder you do not wish to address whether "ongoing, continuous" deals with
"non-stop," "intermittent" or "durative."  TKD 4.2.7 does not deal with these
either.

peHruS

Back to archive top level