tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 08 10:36:59 1999

Re: cheb'a' to the Kg. was (Re: Higher math)

quljIb:
>I have with me a copy of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual
>(ISBN: 0-671-01563-X) by Herman Zimmerman, Rick Sternbach, and Doug
>Drexler. Among the many pieces of information are the stats. for a B'rel
>class Bird of Prey. Here they are:
>
> ACCOMMODATION: 12 plus flight crew and troops.

ghunchu'wI':
: Officers Quarters' and Non-commissioned Crew Quarters are identified,
: but nothing is said about how many people can be accommodated.  For
: what it's worth, there is one six-person personnel transporter.

I wondered about the crew complement {wey} when I first looked at the
poster.  But if you count all the little figures of the little Klingon
crewman (or parts thereof) drawn to give a sense of scale, you'll discover
that there are 12 of them.  This is agrees with the line from ST3 that
there are "twelve officers and men" on a (B'rel-class) BoP.  This being the
case, you can evacuate a B'rel using the 6-person transporter just twice.

> MASS: 236,000 metric tonnes

: * Mass: 8.7KT
:
: This is *very* different from the DS9 manual information.  It's also a
: little hard to reconcile with its being a translation of 375 thousand
: {cheb'a'mey}, since we already knew that a {cheb'a'} is 9 {cheb}, and
: we were told earlier that a {cheb} is close to 5 pounds or 2.25 kg.
: 				[snip]									  Something is a bit off either
: in our knowledge of weights, in the translation of this value, or maybe
: in the printing of the value itself.  It *could* just be a typo.

I'm shocked!  Who would have possibly expected that one
Paramount-authorized publication would contradict another?  We all know the
pains the Paramount writing staff takes to ensure that all the movies,
episodes and novels are consistent!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons