tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 06 17:41:33 1999

Re: mu'mey Dajqu'

david joslyn wrote:

> tlhIngan mu'mey Dajqu' Sanob
> (I give you some very intereting Klingon words.)

Someone else I'm sure will caution you about trying to break
Klingon words down into their components.  Marc Okrand himself
has said that you can't assume that even a word that seems
easy to break down (eg. /QongDaq/) is actually made
from the components we think we can isolate.  The danger
in this approach is breaking down a word that has only one
component listed in the dictionary, and then trying to make
a meaning for the other component (as if I took the word
/rewbe'/, decided it was made from 'X' + 'woman', and then
tried to use /rew/ by itself to mean 'X').  I think MO's
unwillingness to admit that even the most obvious compounds
are indeed made of existing elements is a warning to us to
prevent this kind of extrapolation.

> Last and certainly best:
>
> Ha'DIbaH - animal. lit. "let's go kill (shoot) them!" From:
>            <Ha'> - let's go, and
>            <DIbaH> - we fire (missiles/arrows/etc.) at them.

This is pretty good. I think you have discovered not the actual
"Klingon"
components of the word, but another example of MO's sense of humor.
We've been compiling lists of single-word puns for a long time (KGT is
_full_ of them), but
as far as I can remember, you're the first to point this one out.

> Are there any more mu'mey Dajqu'? If so let me know; I'm compiling a list.

As amusements or aids to vocabulary learning, such lists are great.
Just don't read
too much into them.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level