tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 07 07:18:43 1999

RE: KLBC: A haiku

qon quljIb:
>Here's a bit of poetry for the Bahai masters:

nuqjatlh?  What does Bahai have to do with haiku?

>Hur bIr 'ej peDtaH
>chIS HuD'a'mey Sormey je
>jIH mubel peH chIS

jang pagh:
>majQa'! 'eybej. The only correction I have is in the last line: do you mean
><puH> rather than <peH>?

pagh is apparently blinded by the beauty of the poetry -- he missed a
couple of grammatical problems.  :-)

There's something very odd about the first line.  The phrase {Hur bIr
means "cold outside" and fits as a noun in a larger phrase.  The two
words are probably reversed.  {bIr Hur} is a proper sentence meaning
"the outside is cold."  You might be able to get away with saying
{HurDaq bIr} "[it] is cold outside", but that has too many syllables
for the poem.

I also get the feeling that {HuD'a'mey} should really be referring to
a mountain range like the Andes or Himalayas.  If you just want to say
"big mountains", {HuDmey tIn} might be more appropriate.

{jIH mubel} tries to say something like "it is pleased me."  In order
to fit grammatically in the last line, it has to be {mubelmoH} "it makes
me pleased" or "it pleases me".

I was leaning more towards interpreting the last words as {poH chIS}
"white time", perhaps in reference to the snows of winter.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level