tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 05 09:19:45 1999

Re: yIt

: in the last HolQeD, the interview discussed words like ghoS, paw, leng, jaH,
: etc.  I know we don't know for sure, but what are your opinions about yIt
: (walk). Do you think it works the same way as the other words mentioned?
:
: DloraH

I'd imagine {yIt} "walk" and {qet} "run, jog" work the same way, whatever
that is.  Whether they also work like {ghoS} "approach, proceed", {paw}
"arrive", {leng} "travel, roam" and {jaH} "go" is another matter; note that
these four are all general, not specifying the precise nature of the motion
(on foot, in a vehicle, etc).  {yIt} and {qet} do provide more details as
to what kind of motion is involved: movement on foot slowly vs. movement on
foot quickly.  Here's how Okrand has used them:

	tugh yIyIt!
	[untranslated] ST6

	yIyIt!
	Walk! KGT

	pa' jIyIt'a'?
	Can I walk there? CK

	poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
	The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

	qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD
	4,000 throats may be cut in one night by a running man. TKD/TKW

	ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj [sic!]
	May your enemies run with fear! (TKW: no' Hol)

	jaghmeylI' DaghIjjaj, qetjaj jaghmeylI'
	May you scare your enemies, may your enemies run. (TKW: ta' Hol)

	qettaH
	He/she keeps on running KGT

	jIqet
	I run. STC (Klingon Lesson)

Come to think of it, we should also consider {puv} "fly":

	puvtaHbogh Duj ngabmoHlaw' So'wI'
	[cloaking device] allowing the ship to fly in a state of practical
	 invisibility. S33

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons