tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 05 09:25:59 1999

Re: Aspect

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:19:05 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:

> ============================
> 1)  perpetual vs. continuous; non-stop vs. ongoing:
>
> Are you just trying to see if I will get belligerent in this discussion?  Or
> do you misread TKD to quote to me?  Or do you really misunderstand what you
> are reading?
>
> You have correctly quoted TKD p43.  No problem.  But, you have skirted the
> issue entirely regarding KNOWing that the Aspect suffix {-taH} does or does
> not mean that the ongoing action is perpetual.  What we know from your quote
> of TKD p43 is that the action is ongoing whether there is a known goal or not.
> We still do not KNOW if the action is perpetual.  charghwI's earlier message
> to which I was responding implied KNOWing that the action need not be
> perpetual.

Simple. Okrand has used {-taH} a few times and you'd be hard
pressed to stand on a podium and declare that every single one
of them referred to perpetual action. This is a really old
argument quite settled.

> 2)  Maybe your just trying to test me.  On this listserv there have been many
> messages about "intermittent" action.  Some talked about the answer being
> {-taHbe'}.  A lot of these messages appeared shortly after HolQeD 6.4. Dec.
> 1997.  (See pp2-7).

"Continuous" does not imply "perpetual". I'm sure your
dictionary can help you find the difference.

> peHruS

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level