tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 05 08:58:25 1999

Re: yIt

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 08:48:27 -0800 (PST) TPO <[email protected]>
wrote:

> in the last HolQeD, the interview discussed words like ghoS, paw, leng, jaH,
> etc.  I know we don't know for sure, but what are your opinions about yIt
> (walk). Do you think it works the same way as the other words mentioned?
>
> DloraH

I would doubt it. The words like {ghoS} all relate movement
from one place to another place with no mention of the MEANS of
that locomotion. {yIt} focusses on the MEANS, not the fact that
you are moving along a path. I would expect {yIt} to be
intransitive.

I'd parallel this to the verbs of speech {ja'} and {jatlh}
contrasted with verbs that tell describe the manner of action of
speaking, like {jang, jach}, etc.

Similarly, I'd use a pair of sentences to say, "I walked home."

juH vIghoS. jIyIt.

Okrand can easily prove me wrong. I'm just taking the mood of
this kind of expression to the best of my understanding from our
discussion. Mostly, I feel quite certain that these two
sentences WILL work, and I'm a lot less certain that using {yIt}
transitively will work the way {ghoS} does. Usage may prove
otherwise, but it hasn't yet, so I'll stick to this more
conservative approach.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level