tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 21:33:09 1999

Re: Placement of aspect suffixes

In a message dated 3/4/1999 8:10:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Mandarin "-wan" appears as tense when it's interpreted into English, and it
 appears as perfective when interpreted into Baltic-Slavonic languages.  That
 still sounds like it can be translated as either past tense or perfective.
 I can't see any other way to read it.

 [Based on another message I read from you today, I don't think that Mandarin
 "-wan" means *either* past tense or perfective aspect.  I think it acts more
 like a change of state event than it acts like an aspect.] >>
===============

qatlh bImul?  English grammarians use terminology adapted to the English
language; Balto-Slavonic languages' grammarians often use terminology adapted
to their individual languages; Chinese grammarians use terminology adapted to
Chinese.  We translate the whole-sentence concepts rather than analyzing the
parts of speech.

Chinangan Hol mu'tlheghDaq mu' {le} (pronounced "luhh, neutral tone) vIchelDI'
choH mu'tlhegh ghu'.  mu' {le} HutlhtaHvIS mu'tlhegh, ta'taHghach neH 'oS wot
'ay' {-wan}.  Event 'oSbe'.  'ach mu'tlhegh naQ Dotlh choHmoH.  poH ngu'be'.

peHruS

Back to archive top level