tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 21:42:41 1999

Re: Aspect

In a message dated 3/4/1999 9:00:27 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Perfective doesn't "take place" at a particular time.  Perfective is a
state,
 not an event.  If "the perfection of the action" has not occurred, the verb
 does not possess the perfective quality, so the {-pu'} and {-ta'} suffixes
 are not appropriate. >>
==========================
Okay, I have misstated some things about perfective events rather than
perfective states.  I will have to be more careful.  I have known all along
that "perfective aspect" is a condition, a manner, a way of looking (L.
spectare) at the verb.

Where do you get the authority to say that "If ... ... the verb does not
posses the perfective quality, so the <> {-ta'} suffix<> is [replaces "are"]
not appropriate."?  Not from TKD.  Although TKD clearly places {-ta'} in the
section entitled Aspect, and says in black and white that it is similar to
{-pu'}, nowhere I read does it say that it is a "perfective."  It uses Klingon
grammarians terminology; it is the Aspect known as "accomplished, done."  TKD
p41.

The pairing with {-pu'} "perfective" is there.  But, the definition of {-ta'}
does not classify it as a "perfective."  You alone are doing that.

peHruS

Back to archive top level