tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 13:07:08 1999

Re: KLBC : revised bang bom mu'

to charghwI' and ghunchu'wI'...

I think there are several related but different issues
adressed in your discussion. I'll try to seperate them.

1) the issue of more than one beneficiary

consider the sentence: I made the girl give the knife to the officer.
there is one beneficiary of the giving and one beneficiary of the causation.

of course I have a very good reason not to try to render that in Klingon :)

2) the issue of ambiguity

I think it is well established that there are ambiguous statements
in Klingon. consider this: I make you kill for your friend's benefit.

{qaHoHmoH} surely means "I make you kill", not "I have you killed",
so {juplI'vaD qaHoHmoH} should be interpretable as "I make you kill
for your friend's benefit." Of course, without further context, it
would be read as "I make your friend kill you."

3) the prefix trick and {-moH}

here seems to be the core disagreement between ghunchu'wI' and
charghwI' but I don't think I can say anything about it.
It seems to work fine for me.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]