tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 03 10:34:36 1999

Re: Dap naQ

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:09:58 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 3/1/1999 9:40:25 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << We don't just accept it blanketly, we discuss it, we work with it.
>  People offer alternatives, we banter them around.  It's not for naught, it's
> to help us
>  figure out how to best use the tools to communicate clearly.   >>
> ====================
>
> Ah, my point for nearly three years already!!!!!!
>
> We have discovered that many folks do not like what I point out, discuss, work
> on, offer alternatives about, and banter.  I have agreed to avoid belligerence
> when discussing and debating.  Every time (I believe that is without
> exception) that I have tried to show something not accepted by the corps, I
> have stated repeatedly that the purpose is for clarification of understanding
> Klingon for all of us.
>
> peHruS

As you continue to contribute to the list with what I'm sure is
a positive intent, please recognize that there is something in
the way you often present things that somehow evokes a uniquely
ugly response from quite a few people and that other people also
contribute without evoking this kind of response.

It is not that we don't like you. Upon meeting you at qep'a', a
number of people remarked to me how much more they liked you in
person than they did on the list. I very much enjoyed our
dancing excursion (though I prayed a lot that we would not be
pulled over by a cop because I REALLY didn't want to have to
explain why half of us looked like contra dancers and the other
half looked like Klingons, nor did I want to have to explain to
the officer why Qov refused to speak English...), yet I am one
of several people who often speak out more rudely than I
subsequently wish I had when you make proclammations or
otherwise seem to seek negative attention.

I don't think it is that people single you out for arbitrary
reasons. I think it has something to do with your habitual style
of presentation and the absence of evidence that you listen as
much as you seek to be heard. I ask only that you reflect on
this as you continue to seek more appreciated citizenship here
on the list. It is not that we like others more than you. It is
that we like the way others contribute more than we like the way
you contribute. We'd love to help you find a way to add to the
list without enraging it.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level