tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 05 13:10:04 1999

Re: Love (jIjegh!)

ja' qa'ral:
>Ok, I know when to say /vav loDnI'/.

nuqjatlh?

>I infer from ghunchu'wI's and SuStel's comments that TKD, KGT, etc. do not
>list /muSHa'/, /tungHa'/ and /Qochbe'/ as *love*, *encourage*, and *agree*
>and that these translations, as I found them /De'qo'Daq/, are someone's
>unauthorized expansions.  This weakens my argument to the point of failure.

The only one of these not found in TKD is {muSHa'}.

>Sadly, it also means I know three less Klingon words than I thought I did.
>*I agree* is of course not the equivalent of *I don't disagree*,...

Why not?  Agreement is a yes/no concept, right?  If you do not agree with me,
you disagree with me.  If you agree with me, you do not disagree with me.  It
is the same in Klingon, but with the root word applying to the opposite idea.

>and *You encourage me* is quite distinct from *You no longer discourage me*.

{-Ha'} doesn't always imply "undo".  Sometimes it means "do incorrectly", and
that often makes sense translated as doing the opposite.  If I mis-discourage
someone, what I'm actually doing is encouraging him.

You're making things a lot harder on yourself by not getting a copy of TKD.
Learning the grammar (and to some extent, the vocabulary) through secondhand
sources is giving you a slightly skewed idea of what some concepts actually
mean.  For example, {-Ha'} is defined as "undo", but if you read the detailed
explanation of its usage on pages 47 and 48 of TKD, you find that it also is
used to mean "wrongly".  The example given is {bIjatlhHa'chugh} "if you say
the wrong thing" or "if you misspeak".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level