tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 01 13:44:36 1999

RE: love

Welcome to the list, Benedikt. My name is pagh, and I am the current
Beginners' Grammarian for the list. Whenever you have a post you want help
with, just mark it with a KLBC in the subject line.

jatlh Benedikt:

> Hello,
> my name is Benedikt Eger. I did not chose a Klingon name yet, because I
> just started to learn tlhIngan-Hol.

qay'be'. No problem. Don't be in a hurry to choose a name - you'll be stuck
with it for a long time. Better to wait a while and choose one you really
like.

> I have a question concerning the German translation of The Klingon
> Dictionary: I found a Klingon word for the English noun "love":
> "bang". But I did not find one for the verb "to love". Is there
> anyone who can help me?

<bang> is defined in my (English) TKD as "love, one who is loved". Generally
when TKD has a definition like this, the second part is a clarification of
the first, and not a whole separate meaning. So <bang> is only used to mean
people who are loved. I use it with my wife, my sibling, my parents, and
maybe a few other people.

There is another noun, <parmaq>, which you will not find in your dictionary.
<parmaq> is the Klingon term for romantic love, but it is quite a bit more
... agressive than most human romantic love. Note that this term appears to
be quite specific - you may have <parmaq> for your romantic partner (wife,
husband, etc.), but you would not have <parmaq> for anyone else. There is
also a related word - <parmaqay> - which means "romantic partner".

The English verb "love" is a very broad term. It is used for everything from
a husband or wife to parents, children, pets, cars, or even football teams
(both American and the other kind). Here are a few words that have related
meanings:

SaH - care (about), be concerned (about)
nong - be passionate
par - dislike
parHa' - like
muS - hate, detest

vuv - respect
quvmoH - honor (literally "cause to be honored")

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ