tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 25 12:32:50 1999

Re: KLBC: computer vocabulary

jatlh Clayton:

>I'd like to know what are the closest forms to express the following
>computer related words in Klingon:
>
><nouns>
> internet
> mouse (device)
> webpage
> keyboard
> button
> font (letter)
> window
> site / homepage
> operating system
> program
> line
> command line
> channel (IRC channel)
> server
> electronic mail address
> hard disk
> diskette
> compact disk
> word editor program
> graphic editor program
> compiler
> directory (folder)
> file
>

><verbs>
> to be online
> to be offline
> to websurf
> to nuke
> to send an electronic mail message
> to be away
> to delete
> to copy
> to cut
> to paste
> to load program
> to save a file
> to quit a program
>
>I know I won't get all of these, but any of them would already be a
>great help. I can't figure out how to say them in klingon, and it seems
>hard to me.

Just have a try. You won't find direct translations in the dictionary, so
you'll have to become creative. Think about the function of the devices and
the effect of your operations. If you want to get Klingon words for these,
you have to try first. We'll help you, but you need to take some effort,
too.
And an advice on the side: I know it's tempting for you to have these words,
but it would be better to start learning Klingon like any other language:
with easy sentences, learning grammar and vocab step by step, so that you
get a feeling of the language first. Then it'll be so much easier for you to
find Klingon translations for the words you're looking for.

HovqIj
-- temporary BG

Back to archive top level