tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 20 18:23:40 1999

RE: Qutlh and ngaq

jatlh T'Lod:
> chay' pIm <Qutlh> <ngaq> je?

To start with, <Qutlh> is a verb and <ngaq> is a noun.

<Qutlh> came from the Klingon Bird of Prey poster, and I must admit I don't
remember the discussion of it and I don't have the poster handy to look at.
I believe it means "support" in the physical sense - as the beams in a house
support the roof.

<ngaq> is a noun meaning "support", with the added note "(military term)". I
would interpret this as all the military personnel and equipment not
directly involved in front line fighting. This probably includes non-combat
functions like communications, intelligence and medical care as well as
secondary combat functions, which, depending on the type of combat, could
include basically anything. One modern Earth example is a group of ground
troops calling for air support and getting a couple of helicopters with all
sorts of really nasty weaponry to back them up.

As a side note, the wordlist for Holtej's excellent program pojwI' several
versions ago included <ngaq> as a verb, so many of the old timers on this
list learned it that way and sometimes have trouble unlearning it.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ