tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 04 23:50:54 1999

Re: Crusade

In a message dated 7/2/1999 9:59:48 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< ja' peHruS:
 ><< vIbejlI'be'.  chaq vItIv, 'ach poHwIj lulo'taH latlh Qu'. >>
 >=============
 >lugh pablIj.  'ach jIghel vIneHbej:  mu' {lo'} tamchugh mu' {natlh}, vaj
 >qaq'a'?

 ghobe'.  ratlh 'op poHwIj vaj natlhlu'be'.  reHmeH poHwIj vIQorgh neH.

==================
Once I deliberately wrote a message misusing Klingon words just as a beginner
might have found them in the dictionary without bothering to "feel" out their
real meanings and usages.  It was to show how not to learn Klingon.  I get
the feeling that ghunchu'wI' is seriously misusing {ratlh}, {natlh} and
{Qorgh}----and I cannot discern any smiley faces to indicate that ghunchu'wI'
is joking!  Furthermore, what is {vaj} doing in a sentence without a
dependent clause.  I cannot fathom that {vaj} is the noun {warriorship} here.
 I'll not go deeply into the "passive voice" portrayed by affixing {-lu'} to
{natlh} while Klingon does not actually have a passive.

Okay.  {ratlh} means "remain, stay behind."  A person can remain in a
particular place.  Although some HIq can remain in a HIvje', the proper verb
here is {chuv}, not {ratlh}, with {lojbe'} being possible, also.  {natlh}
means "expend, use up, deplete."  It is a transitive verb, not a descriptive
verb.  It does not mean "used up."  Thus, with some of ghunchu'wI's time
{chuvtaH}, his time may be in the process of {natlh} but not yet {loj}.
Where does {Qorgh} (take care of) get the meaning "guard one's time"
vis-a-vis "care for a person, maybe because that person is ill"?  From
English, perhaps?  Klingon is NOT English!!!

Next I'll be hearing that {Qorgh} can mean "care for [somebody
romantically]."  wejpuH!

peHruS

Back to archive top level