tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 02 06:44:34 1999

Re: KLBC challenge

It would really have helped to have included the original
example here. Without it, further discussion is pointless. I
thought that {wa'} followed the verb, as in {yI-X wa'}.
Meanwhile, it is not here to observe and I don't feel like
digging through the archive.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:30:59 -0400 Marc Ruehlaender
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > > What I had in mind was the challenge used by Terran sentries "Advance one a
> > nd
> > > be recognised".
> >
> > The problem is that the imperitive implies a second person
> > subject and it seems very strange to have an explicit subject
> > {wa'} added to that. I've never seen anything like it done,
> > though I accept that Okrand could do it and it would of course
> > be right. Since he hasn't done it yet, I'm less sure it is right.
> >
> jImISba'. I don't understand the English phrase, but it _looks_
> like "one" is the _object_ of "advance", not the subject.
> (I thought it meant something like "advance one step")
> of course if "advance one" here really means "one of you shall advance"
> it's just the English that's confusing me.
>
>                                            Marc Ruehlaender
>                                            aka HomDoq
>                                            [email protected]

Back to archive top level