tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 28 08:52:51 1999

Re: KLBC: Two IFs on one THEN?

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 07:53:23 -0800 (PST) Terrence Donnelly
<[email protected]> wrote:

> At 06:38 AM 1/28/99 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
> >On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:09:12 -0800 (PST) [email protected]
> >wrote:
> >> This is where I believe Klingon differs from English.  In Klingon the suffix
> >> -chuq does not imply transitivity after all.  That is precisely why it takes
> >> the "no object" pronominal prefixes.
> >
> >Great. Now, show me just ONE example ANYWHERE IN CANON that
> >shows {-chuq} used on an intransitive verb. I know *I* can't
> >find one. It's a great theory. Show it in action, or give up on
> >it.
> >

> Thhat's not the point.

It IS the point. Just because you want to ignore it doesn't make
it not the point. There are no verbs used in canon with {-chuq}
added to them that do not, in normal useage, have direct
objects.

> The point is that the addition of /-chuq/
> changes the transitivity of the verb you add it to.

You'd make a little more sense if you explained what the
transitivity was before {-chuq} and what it becomes after
{-chuq} so that we'd know what you mean by "changes the
transitivity of the verb".

My point is that if a verb, like {Sum}, can't take a direct
object in normal useage, it also can't take {-chuq}. I don't
care about the prefix. That's an arbitrary convention. The
MEANING of a verb with {-chuq} must be able to take a direct
object. {Sum} can't, so it can't.

> That's surely
> why Okrand makes the point of telling us we must use the 'no object'
> verb prefixes.

He may have arbitrarily made this choice because it was
interesting to look at, and since there would never be an
explicit noun acting as object of a verb with {-chuq}, why
bother indicating an object with the prefix? The "no-object"
prefix on a verb with {-chuq} becomes as fossilized as the "ne -
pas" pairing in the French negative. It is just a convention
with no deep meaning.

He was also setting up a tripwire for anyone who wanted to add a
direct object to {ja'chuq} as the topic of what was being
discussed. You can't do it with current grammar. "Discuss" is
just a gloss and you can't use {ja'chuq} as if it literally
meant "discuss" with the same direct objects that the English
word "discuss" can take. The word "discuss" is there to help you
look it up. It is easier to look up than "tell each other" or
"talk to each other". The Klingon word cannot take as a direct
object the topic. We have to work around that with {qel} or its
ilk.

> In English, we do indeed show the reflexive mode of
> a verb by a pronoun object ('each other'), but there's no reason to assume
> that English modes translate to Klingon.

It doesn't translate. Klingon does not give a separate word as
object in this reflexive construction, but the POINT is that
there is a limited set of verbs that can take {-chuq}, and all
the stative, intransitive, adjectival verbs are excluded from
that set. {Sum} is such a verb and cannot have {-chuq} added to
it. That is what started this discussion, so that IS the point
of this discussion. Attempts to redefine the discussion as an
abstract theory on transitivity that doesn't address which verbs
can or cannot take {-chuq} are, well, missing the point.

The point of THIS discussion was not intended to be a
theoretical examination of the mechanics of {-chuq} which never
actually touches on how {-chuq} is to be used. It was to help
people pick out which words they could use with {-chuq} and
which ones they can't. It is to help people speak the language
well.

Have I made my point yet?

> -- ter'eS

charghwI' 'utlh