tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 27 10:43:58 1999

Re: KLBC: Two IFs on one THEN?

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:37:46 -0800 (PST) [email protected]
wrote:

> In a message dated 1/26/1999 3:11:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << I believe that it is also acceptable to say {Sumchuq X Y je}. I
>  think that satisfies the whole diexis thing. If I'm
>  misremembering the interview, forgive me. It has been a while
>  since it happened.
>   >>

> I had figured that {Sumchuq X Y je} would work.  Does the interview confirm or
> contradict this?
>
> peHruS

Oops. Suddenly, I am knocked down by a sudden gust of memory.
{Sumchuq X Y je} would NOT work because {Sum} can ONLY be
intransitive. It is a verb that can be used adjectivally, so it
can never take an object. The {-chuq} suffix, despite its
verb's prefix indicating differently, always implies
transitivity.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused by my eroneous
suggestion.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level