tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 26 14:00:15 1999

Re: RE: KLBC: Two IFs on one THEN?

Just to add a tidbit to an excellent answer:

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:37:43 -0800 (PST) "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh Dawut:
>
> > Greetings,
>
> > Clipped Question:
> > Can I put two IFs on one THEN if I use an AND?
>
> HIja'.
>
> > Full Question:
> > I was corresponding with the crew of the {Qo'noS qa'} when I
> > wrote the following sentence:
>
> > bIvchugh targh, 'ej bobcho' SumchoHchugh targh, vaj bIt
> > tera'ngan. If the targ breaks the rules and gets near the
> > module, then the Terran will be nervous.
>
> There is no problem with the two <-chugh> clauses, but there is another
> problem. In charghwI''s interview with Marc Okrand in the last HolQeD, we
> got quite a bit of new information, including a bit about <Sum>. We now know
> that it cannot take an object. The most common usage is simply <Sum X>,
> meaning that <X> is near the speaker. If you want to say that something is
> near something else, you would say <X-Daq Sum Y>.

I believe that it is also acceptable to say {Sumchuq X Y je}. I
think that satisfies the whole diexis thing. If I'm
misremembering the interview, forgive me. It has been a while
since it happened.

Also, if the subject (or
> object) is the same in the second clause, you don't need to repeat it. I'd
> also add a <-choH> to the <bIt>. Here's what you wind up with then:
>
> bIvchugh targh 'ej bobcho'Daq SumchoHchugh, vaj bItchoH tera'ngan.

Excellent.
> > Corrections and Comments welcome.
>
> When you added the KLBC, you asked for comments from me. Now it's open to
> everyone.
>

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian

Being but one small part of everyone, I reply...

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level