tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 22 16:52:50 1999

RE: RE: KLBC: capitals in the writing system

jatlh qaSa:

>>ja' charghwI':
>>>My understanding is that Okrand fudged IPA, mimicking parts of
>>>it and whole-cloth making up other parts.
>>
>>I don't have it documented anywhere, but I remember his saying that
>>he originally developed Klingon phonology using IPA.  The spelling
>>system presented in TKD was developed so the actors in Star Trek III
>>could read it. :-)  Its representability in ASCII text is a bonus.
>
>What *exactly* is IPA?

IPA is the International Phoentic Alphabet. Linguists use it to describe the
sounds of a language. That's about all I know; I suspect the linguists on
the list can give you a more detailed and accurate answer than I can.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level