tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 22 06:18:35 1999

Re: KLBC

ghItlh pagh:
>This doesn't quite work - you're trying to write a sentence, so you need a
>verb. The way we do forms of "to be" - like "(something) is (something
>else)" - in Klingon is with pronouns. It's a bit strange (for English
>speakers, anyway), but that's the way it works.

May I add something? (for 'oghwI')

>tera'ngan jIH. - I am a Terran.
>tlhIngan SoH'a'? - Are you a Klingon?
   In this form of a sentence, {jIH} means "I am", {SoH} is "you are" and so
on. At least for me it was a good help to memorize.
   Another way to memorize is when little kids start to learn speaking:
Perhabs you've heard things like "You Klingon?" - "No, me Terran."

>When there's something after the pronoun, it gets the suffix <'e'>. So if
>you want to say "My name is <'oghwI'>", it's:
>
>'oghwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'
   This was the first sentence I could say in Klingon :-) First I thought
that the {-'e'} is the verb, it sounds like "inventor it my-name is." (which
kind of makes sense). But that's wrong!
   Like I said, the {'oH} means here "it is". The {-'e'} marks the more
important word of the sentence: "my NAME (not something else) is 'oghwI'" So
this sentence could be understood as "my NAME it is 'oghwI'"

Ciao,
Quvar muHwI'
-=muHwI' jIHbe' 'ach muHwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'=-

Back to archive top level