tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 21 22:23:02 1999

RE: KLBC: *London*Daq lengwIj

ja' Matt Johnson:
> muyu' 'avwI'. rInDI' ghIghDaj, jItaHlaH.
>The guard interrogated me. As soon as he had completed his task, I was
>able to continue.
>(recast of: The guard questioned me, then he let me continue.)

I don't think the verb {taH} works here.  It means something like
"continue to exist", and you probably want "go about my business"
or "resume my plans".  A phrase using {-qa'} is probably reasonable
for this meaning.

{ghIgh} for "task" is a slang term, and I'm not really comfortable
with the way you've applied it to the official job of the guard.
Somehow it seems out of place in a description of his formal duty.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level