tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 21 12:46:34 1999

Re: RE: KLBC: capitals in the writing system

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:02:22 -0800 (PST) Qermaq
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I wish he had used <k> instead of <q> since it really seems more sensible
> that way. He did not, however. Oh well. qay'be'.

He wanted to make a point that {q} is NOT pronounced like an
English "K". The English sound happens in my mouth somewhere
around my second or third molars. The {q} sound happens back
farther and deeper in the throat. It uses a whole different set
of muscles.

I doubt this will make much sense to people, but to me "k"
involves a vertical closing and opening in my airway, while {q}
is a horizontal one. The base of my tongue rises to make a "k",
but it falls back to make a {q}.

Except when I get lazy, of course, when it sounds exactly like a

> Qermaq

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level