tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 18 15:09:05 1999

Re: qa'vIn

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:51:47 -0800 (PST) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja'pu' charghwI':
> > He'So' mu'tlheghvam je.
>
> ja' K'ryntes
> ><He'So' je mu'tlheghvam> DajatlhnIS 'e' vIHar.
>
> lugh K'ryntes.  (rut lughbe' charghwI' net tu'.)
> Whether you're applying the "also" to the subject or the object of
> the sentence, the {je} comes after the verb.

In the first place, neither {He'So' je mu'tlheghvam} nor
{He'So' mutlheghvam je} has an object.

Meanwhile, going back to the example you point out:

> TKD page 55:
> | The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function:  when it follows
> | a verb, it means /also, too/.
> |
> | {qaleghpu' je} /I also saw you, I saw you too/
> |
> | As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous:  /I and
> | others saw you/ or /I saw you and others/.  The exact meaning is
> | determined by context.

I note that he does not say /I saw and heard you/, which is what
I would have interpreted "also, too" to mean. I wonder if that
means there is no equivalent in Klingon. Perhaps there is no way
to say: "I heard you. I saw you, too." Certainly, nothing in
that statement in TKD allows that interpretation of the use of
{je}.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level