tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 14 15:11:29 1999

jatlh (was Re: qa'vIn)

: > [email protected] writes:
: > << ja' K'ryntes
: >  ><He'So' je mu'tlheghvam> DajatlhnIS 'e' vIHar. >>
: >
: > And, a quote is not a direct object of <jatlh>, that I believe.  This
gives:
: > <He'So' je mu'tlheghvam> bIjatlhnIS 'e' vIHar.
:
: Are you sure?  I thought I had to use Da- because I was saying, "You need to
say
: it" and the object was <He'So' je mu'tlheghvam>.  If I wanted to say, <You
said,
: "This sentence stinks too">  then I would do it like this <He'So'
mu'tlheghvam je
: bIjatlh> because that would be a quote.

Yes, counterintuitive though it may be to an English speaker.  Okrand has
mentioned this a couple of times, starting with TKD p.67:

 Similarly, with verbs of saying (say, tell, ask, etc.), {'e'} and {net} are
not used.
 The two phrases simply follow one another, in either order: {qaja'pu'
HIqaghQo'}
 or {HIqaghQo' qaja'pu'} "I told you not to interrupt me". This is literally,
"I told
 you, 'Don't interrupt me!'" or "'Don't interrupt me!' I told you."'

You can tell that the quotation is not the direct object of {jatlh} because of
the prefix {qa-}, which refers to the person being addressed.  If the
quotation
were in fact the DO, Okrand would have used {vI-}.  This is actually quite
concise and elegant, though punctuation in the Klingon would have made this a
bit clearer for beginners.

: > Furthermore, although it is
: > not necessary to put <jatlh> before the quote, I have seen it often in
canon.
: > This gives:  bIjatlhnIS <He'So' je mu'tlheghvam> 'e' vIHar.
: >
: > peHruS
:
: I'm confused by this and I don't think I agree but I don't have enough
experience
: to defend my position so, unless pagh says different, I won't attempt to
argue
: that.  I know that jatlh can go before or after but I'm not sure it applies
: this situation because it wasn't a quote.
:
: K'ryntes

According to MO, it can be in either order -- though I'm sure individual
speakers tend to favor one over the other.

Since TKD, we now know that although {jatlh} may take a direct object - "that
which is spoken" (e.g. a speech, a lecture, an address, a language) - that
object is *not* the actual quotation itself.  Sometimes I think MO did this
just to be ornery!

I refer you to Okrand's lengthy post back on the old MSN Expert Forum: