tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 14 13:41:55 1999

Re: qa'vIn

[email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 1/13/1999 9:49:53 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << ja' K'ryntes
>  ><He'So' je mu'tlheghvam> DajatlhnIS 'e' vIHar. >>
>
> And, a quote is not a direct object of <jatlh>, that I believe.  This gives:
> <He'So' je mu'tlheghvam> bIjatlhnIS 'e' vIHar.

Are you sure?  I thought I had to use Da- because I was saying, "You need to say
it" and the object was <He'So' je mu'tlheghvam>.  If I wanted to say, <You said,
"This sentence stinks too">  then I would do it like this <He'So' mu'tlheghvam je
bIjatlh> because that would be a quote.

> Furthermore, although it is
> not necessary to put <jatlh> before the quote, I have seen it often in canon.
> This gives:  bIjatlhnIS <He'So' je mu'tlheghvam> 'e' vIHar.

I'm confused by this and I don't think I agree but I don't have enough experience
to defend my position so, unless pagh says different, I won't attempt to argue
that.  I know that jatlh can go before or after but I'm not sure it applies to
this situation because it wasn't a quote.

K'ryntes

> peHruS

Back to archive top level