tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 12 12:28:28 1999

Re: Quite a few more word puns

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:19:37 -0800 (PST) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' K'ryntes:
> > nughI'  (noogie)  twist knuckle into someone's head
> >
> >Pwa ha ha!  That's my favorite! :)
>
> To be fair, that one is generally recognized as a loan-word from Federation
> Standard. :)  I am an eyewitness to the first time the word was known to be
> used by a recognized source, and I can trace its adoption throughout the
> Klingon-speaking community.  To the best of my knowledge, nobody managed to
> capture the actual event of its use for later scrutiny, but the word itself
> was quickly recorded and made known in various publications.  (I'm sure that
> someone else recalls the names of the persons actually doing in the activity
> that prompted the word to become an accepted part of the language.)
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

I'm pretty sure it was a suggestion by Krankor immediately
accepted by Okrand at qep'a'. He just explained that with a
forehead like that and that kind of rough-house playing attitude
towards pain, there's no way that Klingons wouldn't do this, so
it should have a name.

I remember asking Okrand if it were to be a noun or a verb. He
thought for a moment and said it was a verb. I don't remember
who it was who demonstrated it with Krankor, though I do
remember there was a brief demonstration.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level