tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 12 07:08:33 1999

Re: Noun suffixes, type 5

According to [email protected]:

> In a message dated 1/7/1999 7:55:32 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << These are fine uses. I think that "extracting" wood from a tree
>  is not different. The sword, food and wood were in their
>  containers and it was removed from that container. What is your
>  point? >>
>
> My point is:  In other languages I know, "made of" is not the same word as
> "extracting a thing from a container, sheath, holster."

My point is: In other languages I know, the subject doesn't
follow the verb. Prepositions are helper words. Verbs have
tense. Nouns have gender which often refers to the sex of the
noun if the noun is a sexed animal. There are a lot of things
that pertain to other languages that I know. Most of them don't
pertain to Klingon.

> Particularly, in Mandarin we have a specific verb for "made from." It is "zuo
> (4)".  "Create" is "zao (4)".  "Take out" or "extract" is "ba (2)".  "Take out
> of a refrigerator or similar container" is "na (2)".

That's very interesting, but I don't see any connection between
this fact and anything relating to the Klingon language.

> peHruS

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level