tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 10 21:10:14 1999

Re: KLBC: HovqIj jun Hov wov

ja' HovqIj:
>...<qawHaqqoq> describes the
>function of a film. In contrast to that, your <mep beQ> describes its
>appearance.

The word "film" doesn't say anything about its function either. :)  I
wasn't suggesting that {mep beQ} would be sufficient by itself.  Some
description of function is still appropriate:

{DoSvo' 'otlh jon janvam.  mep beQDaq 'otlh qon}.

>> What's wrong with {cha'wI'}?  "Thing which displays {a picture}" sounds
>> pretty close to what you want. :-)  If you think it might be confused
>> with {jIH} "monitor" or {HotlhwI'} "scanner, projector", then you might
>> try {cha'bogh nav}.
>
>Hmmm... but isn't a picture rather the thing displayed and less the
>thing that displays?

I consider a "photograph" to be the paper which displays the image, so
{cha'wI'} is exactly the idea I'm looking for.

><cha'bogh nav> is interesting. I think it should have an object since
><cha'> seems to be transitive only, but I'll keep it in mind.

I'm not sure what you mean by "transitive only" -- any transitive verb
can be used with an unstated object, like {Sop} or {laD}.  The bottom
of TKD page 33 talks about this sort of usage.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level