tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 06 00:23:56 1999

Re: My old neighbor

In a message dated 1/4/1999 6:37:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< Voragh jang charghwI':
 >>  poH nI' jupwI' ghaH matlh Qup'e'
 >>  Young Maltz is my long-time friend.
 >
 >I don't see the grammmatical function of {poH} here. Are you
 >using a noun-noun here? poH jupwI'? That doesn't really make
 >much sense. Meanwhile, without some sort of Type 5 suffix, {poH}
 >doesn't have a reason to be here. If you are going to go this
 >far out, I think you have to go even farther.
 >
 >qaStaHvIS poH nI' jupwI' ghaH matlh Qup'e'.
 >
 >I don't think that our English idiom "long time friend" can be
 >directly translated, word for word into Klingon as you have
 >apparently done.

 Voragh's {poH nI' jupwI'} has a parallel in {lo' law' lojmIt} >>

mumISmoH mIwvam
qaq mu'tlhegh 'ay' {qaStaHvIS poH nI'} 'e' vIHar
mumISmoHbe'

'ach {voragh jang charghwI'} ghItlhlu'chu'be' 'e' vIHar
jIQub     lugh {voraghvaD jang charghwI'}

peHruS

Back to archive top level