tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 04 04:32:23 1999

RE: Klingon Bird of Prey poster: THE TEXT

Excuse my ignorance, but do the letters in Klingon make the same sounds as
Federation Standard?  I must admit, I do not understand the meaning of the
apostrophes and capitals.

In a message dated 1998/12/14 02:15:29 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< t 08:00 AM 12/14/98 -0800, Voragh wrote:
 >>From KBP:
 >
 > 'aqroS qughDo: pIvlob Hut vI' vagh
 > Maximum Crusing Speed - Warp 9.5
 >
 > jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
 > High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years
 >
 >charghwI':
 >> New word for "maximum".
 >
 >[someone else]: [ter'eS! 8+) ]
 >>?New word, but what _is_ it??If it's an adjective, why does it
 >>?precede the noun??It appears to be a noun itself, but I can't
 >>?work out any sort of meaning that makes sense. "The cruising
 >>?speed of the maximum amount"???
 >
 >peHruS:
 >SKI:?I think its a NUMBER.
 >
 >voqbe'wI':
 >: where is the problem? i see /'aqroS/ as a noun like /Hoch/. if you follow
 >: your rule of interpreting /'aqroS/ (The cruising speed of the maximum
 >: amount), how would you translate the TKW canon example "Hoch 'ebmey
 >tIjon" -
 >: "capture oportunities of the all"?
 >
 >There are other quantity nouns that work this way:
 >
 >{'op} "some, an unknown or unspecified quantity (n.)" KGT.  E.g.:
 >
 > 'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI'
 >   law' po' puS
 > It [IKC Pagh] has... some of the finest warriors in the Klingon
 >   fleet.  (SkyBox S7)
 >
 >{HochHom} "most, greater part (n.)" KGT. E.g.:
 >
 > qItI'nga Duj tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH
 > [The] K'Tinga-class remained in use for most of the 23rd century. S15
 >
 >Similarly, {'aqroS} works out to be a noun meaning "the maximum amount or
 >quantity".  The second KBP example seems clear: "the maximum (amount of)
range
 >in order to function perfectly".  Or am I missing the point yet again?

 Yes, I've realized this since my first post.  The English word that seems
 to come closest in meaning to /'aqroS/ is 'acme'.

 -- ter'eS

Back to archive top level