tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 26 07:01:10 1999

RE: Dap naQ

> [email protected] schrieb:
> > You know what?  I can't read any more.  Nearly every
> sentence contains something unusual,
> > incorrect, or intentionallly atypical, or is
> incomprehensible (as that last sentence.)
> > It's too hard.  You're not communicating.  I gave this an
> honest try.
> [..]
>
>    In the first lines of his message he wrote that it would be wrong -
> at least I understand it that way.

HIja', ngoDvam vIyajchu'.  I even said so in the next paragraph.

> What I believe he wants to show is that one cannot learn Klingon without
> thinking about what the real definitions mean (e.g. *jIH bang SoH*) and
> you cannot translate english word-for-word (like {chegh}) into Klingon.

That's good advice, which I agree with.  What I disagree with is the forced twisting of
the meanings of Klingon words to fit unexpected English usages, where far more
parsimonious interpretations of the words exist.  Especially when it's being done just to
prove a point, and not so much because of a lack of some other way to communicate an idea.

>    But I think it's enough to just MENTION that, it's never good to give
> bad examples in order to learn a language! (many people remember the bad
> ones more easily than the good ones.)

jIQochbe'chu'.

> muHwI'

-- Holtej 'utlh