tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 25 15:58:46 1999

Re: Hoch/HochHom, etc.

ja' T'Lod:
>I want all the spear, not just part of it.
>QIn Hoch vIneH (following KGT 155)

maj, jIQochbe'.

>I want each spear.
>Hoch QIn vIneH.

pup.

>I want all of the spears.
>Hoch QInmey vIneH

Almost perfect.  We should probably translate this as "I want all spears"
or "I want every spear."  We don't have any examples saying "all of" a
collection of things, but based on the {nIn Hoch} example it seems pretty
likely that {QInmey Hoch} would carry the "all of the spears" meaning.

The distinction I see between "all spears" and "all of the spears" is
that the first appears to refer to spears as a category, and the second
appears to refer to a quantity of spears.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level