tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 25 09:32:57 1999

RE: KLBC: double -bogh verbs

T'Lod:
: I have seen an example of two verbs suffixed with -bogh, connected
: with je at the end, most notably in the Klingon Anthem: yoHbogh
: matlhbogh je SuvwI'. Could someone explain this usage to me and
: how a noun conjunction is used with verb clauses?

pagh:
> Simple - it's not. This example comes from a song, and is a good
> example of Okrand taking poetic license. Poetry and song lyrics
> often break grammatical conventions to achieve some other aesthetic
> objective, and that's what's going on here. I believe (although I
> am not sure) that Okrand himself has said that this is not grammatical,
> and was done solely to sound good in the song. The normal way to
> combine multiple <-bogh> clauses is with <'ej>.

T'Lod:
: So if this were a proper Klingon phrase, it would be yoHbogh 'ej
: matlhbogh SuvwI', qar'a'?

pagh:
> In general, when a subject is repeated between two different
> sentences/clauses, it's better to state it in the *first* one and leave it
> out in the second. This is a bit hard to get used to, but it is important.
> 	<yoHbogh SuvwI' 'ej matlhbogh>

De gustibus non disputandum est, of course, but this is merely pagh's own
stylistic preference.  We've seen Okrand do it both ways:

	romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
	Romulan hunter-killer probe
	(this device is also called a {HoHwI'} for short) KCD

	SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh
	The tea that is {SuD} and light. KGT

which last is a variant of:

	SuD Dargh 'ej wov.  KGT