tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 24 11:15:55 1999

Re: Stirring it up

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:23:06 -0800 (PST) [email protected]
wrote:

> At the qep'a' loSDIch I readily admitted that I have the unenviable role of
> stirring up discussions regarding "holes" in our understanding the Klingon
> language.  Some seem to have forgotten that and think I am only making
> trouble.
>
> I intend to continue to hash out points of possible disagreement until we get
> this language tempered by fire into a crystal which outshines all dilithium
> crystals.

This would be interpreted as other than just stirring up trouble
if you preceeded your self-assigned role of finding holes in the
language by simply showing command of it first.

That would indicate respect for Okrand's accomplishment. Since
you have not shown a willingness to develop that kind of
expertise with the language yet, still having some basic
problems expressing fairly basic things, like when to use
perfective, I wonder why you think we should accept you in the
role of revealing the holes in the language.

Would you walk into a meeting of housing contractors and take on
the role of criticizing modern construction techniques without
ever picking up a hammer and building anything? Would you expect
the contractors to respect you for it? If they had an online
mailing list, would you expect them to appreciate your flooding
their list with your opinions?

Build a house first.

Use the language.

If you will use only Klingon for at least two thirds of your
messages, I will do the same. Will you accept that challenge?

> peHruS

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level