tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 24 06:50:23 1999

Re: Placement of aspect suffixes

peHruS wrote:

> In a message dated 2/22/1999 12:58:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << A trick I often use myself is to ask if the word 'already' is
>  appropriate, and if it is, I put the verb in perfective.  This
>  tends to do away with confusing aspect with tense, since it works
>  in any time frame: "I had already done..., I already did...,
>  I will have already done..."
>   >>

> YOU may use this trick, but what basis do we have in the Klingon language that
> this is the right trick to be using?

nuqjatlh? bIyajHa'ba'.  I'm not making any claims about the Klingon
language,
Okrand's already told us Klingon has aspect, not tense.  I don't need to
prove
that.  This is just something I find useful to help me distinguish
between aspect
and tense.  To elaborate: Any "utterance event" has its own timeframe.
We
indicate the timeframe in English by the tense of the verbs.  We
indicate it
in Klingon by "adverbial" timestamps.  When I am translating, I put
myself
in the general time of the utterances.  Then for any given verb, I ask
myself if the action is one-time, on-going or completed _within the