tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 22 19:03:37 1999

mu'tay QarghHomqoqmey

ja' peHruS:
>Since you have shown that you repeatedly requested a word for filling a
>"hole," I will request filling a hole which I feel logically needs a word.

We've always been able to ask that one of a list of objects be identified.
There's no need for a question word to handle the English "which" idea.
Indeed, the existence of such a word would break one of the ways in which
Klingon enjoys a distinction from many other languages: its use of a verb
suffix instead of relative pronouns.

>Instead of convoluting sentences in Klingon to cover a concept in English, I
>"request" this word.

First, you're asking for additional *grammar* to make it easier for you
to translate English phrases into Klingon.  Second, what is so convoluted
about the verb {ngu'}?

Heghpu'bogh qama' yIngu'.  Literally, "Identify the prisoner who has died."
Its meaning is equivalent to the English "Which prisoner has died?"  Maybe
you could say {lom mI' yIper} if you were focusing on the ordinal idea.

>It actually is not new for me to think that there should be a word for a
>concept.  I tried to use {SopmeH jan} or anything similar before we got {raS}.

Many phrases have been tried in the past by many people in order to get
across the idea of a table.  Unlike {SopmeH jan}, most of them actually
described a table in a way that had a chance of being understood without
the person reading it already knowing what it meant.  Without context,
{SopmeH jan} and similar phrases can refer to any of a thousand things.

>But, many times I requested to know what the real Klingon word is for "table."
>I kept saying that Klingons must have a word for table.  They certainly could
>not use many, many syllables to describe an everyday object.

Why do you not similarly say that Americans must have a simple word for
"prepare an omelet"?  Omelets are served every day in restaurants and in
homes across the continent.  Why would anyone use so many syllables to
describe an everyday action?  Do you object to the fact that the common
word "encyclopedia" has more syllables in it than many entire sentences
do in Klingon?  How about "box spring mattress", another everyday item?

The "many many syllables" complaint doesn't move me.  What moves me is
many many attempts to express the idea without anyone coming up with a
clear or easily understood solution.

>In conclusion, I think requesting to know what the real Klingon way of
>covering a word, idea, concept from English is great.  MO appears to listen to
>our "wish lists."  He appears to take note of our discussions.  He eventually
>lets us know what is right and where we have become sidetracked.  Thus, the
>more we challenge ourselves with ideas regarding the possibilities in Klingon,
>the more answers we eventually get.

He tends to give answers to questions that have a bit more context than a
simple "What if {'arDIch} existed too?"  The questions which yield the most
fruitful answers are more along the lines of "How do I ask which flavor of
ice cream is someone's favorite?" and "I'm trying to write a description of
my house for my pen-pal.  Is there a good way to talk about curtains, either
as window shades or temporary room dividers?  They are an important part of
the home's decor, and the description would be very lacking without them."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level