tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 22 10:50:32 1999

Re: qama'

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:15:40 -0800 (PST) [email protected]
wrote:

> In a message dated 2/19/1999 1:43:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << Speaking for myself, I am unsure what the correct
>  useage is. If you ask me {nuqDaq DaDab?} I am quite uncertain
>  which of the following answers is more correct:
>
>  *Shannon*Daq vIDab.
>  *Shannon* vIDab.
>  *Shannon*Daq jIDab.
>
>  Almost certainly one or more of these is correct, but I can't
>  tell you without great doubt which is most correct. I'm quite
>  mystified as to how you feel so much more confident that you
>  know the right way. >>
>
> I know the right way to answer {nuqDaq DaDab} and the right way is {Shannon
> vIDab}.  I have no doubt about this at all.
>
> How do I KNOW?  KGT clearly states that {Dab} means "live at."  From related
> discussion regarding the necessity of the locative, we can conclude that
> locative is not required for such a gloss of a Klingon verb.
>
> peHruS

But that same "clear" statement would likely lead me to ask the
question as {nuq DaDab} and not {nuqDaq DaDab}. It is not really
all that clear. I'm okay with it being a little vague. If Okrand
cares to clear this up more, I'll be delighted. Meanwhile, I
don't have the ego to take this on as a personal mission to set
Okrand straight on how his language is supposed to work.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level