tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 17 15:29:23 1999

Re: KLBC: Room number

'oghwI' wrote:
> If I wanted to say room 5 would that be
> 	pagh pa'
> or
> 	pa' pagh?
> I think it's the first one.

Voragh (me) impulsively replied:
: Nope, the second.  For example:
: 	[clip]
: {pagh pa'} is "five rooms".  Plural suffixes are optional in Klingon,
: especially following numbers.  This could also mean "Pagh's room"

DloraH:
: pagh - zero
: vagh - five

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'!

I must have looked at this for over ten minutes as I wrote my careful (so I thought) reply.  "I don't need to look anything up," I thought. "I know the numbers!"  Apparently not.

I guess I was distracted by the potential word play with {pagh} to notice that this wasn't the number 5 at all!  Well, at least it *was* a number, so my point is still valid...

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level