tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 16 21:09:27 1999

RE: Another new word

ja' Voragh:
>Is it a coincidence that {ma'veq} bears an uncanny resemblence to *mauk*,
>particularly if you consider that the letters U and V were originally
>written as U in Latin?  A fact which has nothing to do with Klingon, of
>course, but everything to do with a Western-trained human linguist named
>Okrand.

It seems rather likely that neither the pronunciation of the knife dubbed
"m'veQ" and the name and spelling of the "Mauk To Vor" ritual have nothing
to do with Okrand.  I'd call the "uncanny resemblence" a mere coincidence.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level