tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 16 11:48:06 1999

RE: KLBC: chay' moHaqmey vIlIjHa'?

jatlh loD Doq:

I think <qaw> or maybe <qawlaH> in the subject would be better than
<lIjHa'>. If you thought of <qaw>, but really *want* to use <lIjHa'>, then
go ahead.

> moHaqmey vIghojmeH pat vISovnIS.
> QaQ pat yIper 'ej jIqeqnIS 'e' yIjatlhbe'.

The verb <QaQ> needs to go after the noun <pat>, and you might consider some
alternatives: <nIv>, <lI'>, etc. I really appreciate someone trying to use
<per> after the recent startrek.klingon post, but I think <chup> or <Del>
would be better here. Since <jatlh> is an imperative here, the suffix should
be <-Qo'>, not <-be'>. Also, we don't really know if indirect quotes work in
Klingon (well, some would argue that we know they don't), but we do know
that direct quotes do. For example:

jIqeqnIS 'e' yIjatlhQo' - probably incorrect
<bIqeqnIS> yIjatlhQo' -OR- yIjatlhQo' <bIqeqnIS> - definitely correct

The <>'s are the punctuation I use for quotes; some people use other
characters or don't use any at all.

Now to answer your question: bIqeqnIS {{;-)> Seriously, though, different
people learn in different ways. ghunchu'wI' has already suggested the most
common way - make up some sample sentences that are easy to remember. My own
method is a little of that, and a lot of plain memorization, which is very
easy for me. I also make up computer passwords out of prefixes - an old one
which I don't use anymore was DI-=1p:3p. But no system you use will do any
good if you don't use them from time to time.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level