tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 15 18:49:32 1999

Re: Happy belated birthday

In a message dated 2/12/1999 9:03:20 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<<
 : I can wish someone a happy birthday by saying <qoSlIj Quchjaj!>.

 This should be {Quchjaj qoSlIj} "May your birthday be happy!"  {qoS} is the
subject and must follow the verb {Quch}.  {qoS Quch} is the noun phrase "a
happy birthday", with {Quch} used "adjectivally".

Here I must respectfully disagree with our Canon Master, Voragh.

This is a wish.  Therefore, it is equal to a toast.  Toasts' grammar have an
overriding factor:  the syllable {-jaj} must be the final syllable of the
sentence. (KGT p. 25)

peHruS

Back to archive top level