tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 12 12:38:13 1999

Another new word

Today, I was sent a .wav file of Okrand pronouncing another new
word. The pronunciation was exceptionally clear, so I feel quite
certain of the spelling, which was different from that which the
person expected who presented it.

The new word is:

ma'veq

It is a ceremonial knife used in the ritual of *Mauk To'Vor*.
[seen in ST: DS9 Episode *Sons of Mogh*.]

The word comes from a recording of Okrand's pronunciation at an
exhibit at 1998 Praxis. The exhibitor was told by someone other
than Okrand that it should be spelled {m'veQ}, but I definitely
hear a very clear {-a'} after the {m} and the word's final
consonant is definitely {q} and not {Q}. Okrand even included
that little unvoiced puff of air, like an unvoiced {a} after the
{q}. He never does that after a final {Q}.

So, anyway, we have a recording of Okrand pronouncing the word
and he was apparently impressed with the knife, so unless
someone has major problems with this, we have another new word
in canon. I have it in yet another version of the New Words list
loaded into the Incoming directory, awaiting our busy
administrator's attention to place it where it belongs so the
rest of you can see it.

pItlh

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level