tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 12 07:46:35 1999

Re: Happy belated birthday

Thornton wrote:

: I can wish someone a happy birthday by saying <qoSlIj Quchjaj!>.

This should be {Quchjaj qoSlIj} "May your birthday be happy!"  {qoS} is the subject and must follow the verb {Quch}.  {qoS Quch} is the noun phrase "a happy birthday", with {Quch} used "adjectivally".

: How would I wish them a belated happy birthday?

With a bigger gift? <g>

Seriously, you can use {paS} "be late" (it's not in TKD but was heard in "Conversational Klingon" and later published in "Klingon for the Galactic Traveller"):  {Quchjaj qoSlIj paS} "May your late birthday be happy!"

FYI, here are other birthday greetings I've seen on the list:

	qoSlIj yIlop!
	qoSlIj DatIvjaj!
	DuQuchmoHjaj qoSlIj!
	Quch qoSlIj 'e' vItul.
	yIlop!  qoSlIj 'oH jajvam'e'.

I prefer a simple {qoSlIj yItIv} "Enjoy your birthday!".  This pattern works with all sorts of holidays, just substitute for {qoSlIj}.  Many of us use {yupma' yItIv} as an all-purpose holiday ("festival") greeting.  That way we don't have to break our heads trying to translate the names of very un-Klingon holidays, which wouldn't be understood without an explanation anyway.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level