tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 10 17:16:03 1999

Re: Emphasis

ja' Voragh:
>:                 {neH} doesn't emphasize anything.  After a noun it
>: means "only," "only that noun and no other."
>
>By you that's not emphasis?

I'm firmly with charghwI' here.  {neH} is not emphasis of any sort.
It's qualifying the noun to say that it's not sharing its role with
anything else.  {pab neH vIqel} "I consider only the grammar."  It
doesn't have anything to do with emphasis; there is no particular
stress on any part of the sentence.  The concept "I" has just as much
importance here as does "grammar".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level