tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 10 13:44:41 1999

Re: Emphasis

ja' charghwI':
> Can some third party help us out here? I'm not trying to bully
> anyone. I'd just like to have someone explain something to one
> of us so that person could better understand the other one's
> point. If I'm the one who needs adjusting, so be it. Surely
> someone else has a useful insight on this.

I'll have a stab at it.
Obviously, you disagree in your interpretation of emphasis.

Steven uses for both {neH} and {-'e'} something like
"focus attention", which makes sense, but William's point
is that one can "focus attention" indifferent ways.

Let's say you are looking at a picture on a screen.
Now, the operator wants to "focus your attention" on
a certain part of it. She could either add a frame
around the interesting part of the picture or zoom in on it.

The first option would correspond to using {-'e'},
the second option to using {neH}. (roughly!!!)

Does this help?

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]