tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 09 23:40:46 1999

RE: KLBC: HolqoqwIj

jatlh 'oghwI':

> I posted this with an URL to my web site. Could you tell
> me if the tlhIngan Hol is correct or not. (my subject was
> trying to say my so called language, I could not think of
> a may to combine use, to make my so-called use of language)

It doesn't really work. I'd expect this subject line on a constructed
language list from someone who has come up with a whole new language, but
does not think much of it. Try <tlhIngan Hol laHqoqwIj>.

> ngeb tlhIngan Hol lab *British TV*.
> vIqon.
> boHevlaH.

What is <ngeb> doing here? <ngeb> means "wrist" (or is it "ankle"? - one of
the two), which makes no sense. It's also slang for "weak", which might make
sense in context here, but if so, it goes after the noun. If you actually
meant <ngeD>, it would also go after the noun.

I'm also not sure what you're trying to say here. British TV showed
*something* related to the Klingon language, but what? Since I don't know
what they actually showed, I don't really know what to suggest.

> I have just writen this:
> vIghojmeH jIneHqa'

> In order to understand I will do it again.

The first bit is "In order to learn *it*". If you're learning something
specific, and it's clear from context what that is, this is fine. Otherwise,
either add an object (e.g. Qu'wIj vIghojmeH) or just go with the no object
prefix. Also, "understand" is <yaj> and <ghoj> is "learn". Two related
concepts, certainly, but not quite the same.

I really can't figure out the <neH> in the second bit. <neH> is a verb
meaning "want". "I will do it again" could be <jIruchqa'> or <vIta'qa'>,
depending on what exactly you're going for.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level